Jerusalem's Girl: Talkback time

Monday 11 January 2010

Talkback time

Time and again I feel both shocked and ashamed by some of the comments posted on my own articles that appear on www.jpost.com.

I know that the Middle East is a sensitive region with no shortage of extremists but I often wonder why these inciting and downright insulting opinions need to manifest themselves at every opportunity.

As the Social Affairs and Human Interest Reporter, most of my stories are not politically controversial. Personally, my main goal is to highlight the people living in this area, both Jews and Arabs.

I will give you an example of a story I wrote recently about Palestinian fashion designer Khawla Abu Sada. It was a feel good story, designed to show that despite the on-going conflict there are people who are still positive and optimistic about the future.

The comments posted were so off the mark, I felt almost sick reading them. Instead of focusing on the beauty of this woman’s designs or the fact that all young women have dreams whether they are Jewish, Muslim, Christian or whatever, Jpost readers picked her (and me) apart.

While there were only a handful of comments on this particular piece, in the past the talkbacks have been even more disturbing. My biggest peeve is when those leaving talkbacks attack me personally! I am reporting, dummies! Its not my personal views…..

Talkback to the hand…..

If I was responsible for monitoring such talkbacks I would draw the line at comments that are off-the-wall offensive, sexually explicit or racist. I would use my gut reaction to decide if something outright inappropriate and even though I would love to just ban all stupidity completely, I know that freedom of speech and expression is also important and there would have to be a balance.

Talkbacks are a benefit of on-line media and we can hope that the lively discussions only add to the presentation of the traditional media.

Only extremist’s talkback

While I know that dialogue seems to be the new name of the game, I sometimes wonder if Jpost readers -- the ones that post talkbacks -- are just totally insane?

My theory is that the bulk of those who comment on news websites or who are talkback addicts nothing better to do in their lives. They are angry at the world and want to make their feelings known. Time after time I have to console myself that the people who have enough time to comment are simply nutcases, finally delighted that someone else might be listening to them other than their own bathroom mirror. Do you think i am right?

8 comments:

  1. Well Ruth... I don't know where to start or what to start with.. but here it goes...
    first: u said it yourself that you are reporting and what you write does not reflect your own opinion... based on that point.. you shouldn't feel insulted or offended by the talkbacks.. because they are a normal reaction to what you write.....
    second: I know and I suffered my self from talkbacks...that many readers are not very intellectual.. they are only people who have access to the internet...
    Third: its all about talkback moderation.. its got nothing to do with freedom of expression... in other words... freedom does not mean to violate other people's privacy or personal life... if the talkback was not related to the point of discussion I think it should be deleted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think talkback reflects how people feel about certain topics and should be used as a learning tool. Most of those who take the time and effort to really elaborate on their anger are people with agendas. Because of the nature of your reports, I am sure a lot of people live positive feedback too, which speaks for your balanced and unbiased reporting. Do not take it personally and build on it! that's what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth it really makes my heart ache that you get ugly comments for feel-good features in a region that desperately needs those kinds of stories. As you pointed out, there's a difference between stupidity and nastiness(for want of a better word). Freedom of speech gives people the right to air their stupidity, but editorial policy should not allow people to spew venom -- at author or subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are all correct. I have tried to develop a thick skin when it comes to the negative feedback and downright offensive comments. And I console myself by saying that at least such commentary means people are actually reading my work and driven enough to comment on it.

    On the positive side, its good to know that my work can create dialog... isn't that one of the fundamental aims of any writer?

    Hani, I like your idea that if the talkback is not directly related to the piece then moderators should not allow it to be posted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth,
    After reading your post and our colleagues comemnts, i was compelled to check out talk bask section on the Jpost. I'm suprised beyond words by some of the comments such as one which sugegsted that "war is the best solution". I stopped reading because I personally dont think that such a comment would be useful to the organization or to the situaiton under discussion. its DISTURBING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, I totally agree with you! It is disheartening what people write and it really worries me. But its not just on the Jpost, its also on news websites across the middle east. I have read terrible things written by Arab readers about Israel. It is just upsetting that people can say such things, it only leads to fuel tempers more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can those comments be censored? I wonder if that is possible. The one comment seems like an "incitement to violence" and "solicitation to commit crime" which is not protected under the First Amendment in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruth, I loved your story on Khawla Abu Sada and would like to know how to get in touch with her about purchasing her clothing line. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete