Jerusalem's Girl: Thinking about linking.....

Monday 14 December 2009

Thinking about linking.....

So I've been asked to give some examples of how linking is useful for on-line journalism and the most obvious example I can think of right now is the story that I am preparing for the Jerusalem Post magazine's Christmas edition...

Ramallah Fashion
Here goes, I am writing a feature about a Palestinian fashion designer based in Bethlehem. She had a very successful fashion show in Ramallah two months ago and her designs are stunning.

Seeing her work got me thinking that Israelis and most people around the world do not realize that there are some wonderful and positive things happening in the Palestinian Authority. I hope to highlight this in my story. If I was writing this story for on-line media -- and it will likely appear on www.jpost.com -- then I would certainly add the following link to the YouTube clip of her fashion show....

See the Ramallah Fashion Show on YouTube

Because this is a story (and you will all have to wait to read the full version) about such a colorful subject as fashion, especially against the backdrop of suffering and hardship, showing the glamor and glitz and proving that it really took place is of utmost importance.

War heroes
Another example of how effective linking can be is a story that I wrote this week for the Jerusalem Post about Polish national hero Jacek Karski. The story, TAU honors Polish War Hero includes background and some historical references. Some of those were questioned by my readers -- the Holocaust and the Second World War are very sensitive topics -- they question my choice of phrasing when I referred to Poland's role during the war... therefore it would have been wise to include links to historical websites to back up what I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment